RadBox (bicycle self-help workshop)
Our workshop lives from you - from your problems and your commitment!
- - - - - - Important News - - - - - -
- We are proud to present to you a short film about our work. You can watch it on YouTube: RadBox film
- If you want to learn more about our work, read down below in the section "Get involved".
- You want to become part of the RadBox team? Drop us a mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- - - - - - Opening hours - - - - - - -
You can schedule an appointment here:
> SCHEDULE APPOINTMENT <
Please schedule an appointment if possible! If no appointments are made, we might stay closed or close early.
- Further, you can see at which times there is already a lot of traffic and at which times there is still free capacity.
Our current opening hours:
On mobile devices, the following table might not show correctly. Try using the desktop mode of your mobile browser or use a PC.
|10:00-11:00 am||++ opened ++|
|11:00-12:00 am||++ opened ++|
|12:00-1:00 pm||++ opened ++|
|1:00-2:00 pm||++ opened ++||++ opened ++|
|2:00-3:00 pm||++ opened ++||++ opened ++|
|3:00-4:00 pm||++ opened ++|
|4:00-5:00 pm||++ opened ++||++ opened ++||++ opened ++|
|5:00-6:00 pm||++ opened ++||++ opened ++||++ opened ++|
|6:00-7:00 pm||++ opened ++||++ opened ++||++ opened ++|
|7:00-8:00 pm||++ opened ++||++ opened ++||++ opened ++|
Since we rely on volunteers, opening hours may vary. Short-term changes to the opening hours are possible and will only be announced via the RadBox e-learning course!
You want more opening hours? Take over a shift and become a mechanic!
Our partner workshop in the city: Flickwerk
- - - - - - - - Conditions - - - - - - - -
We are a bicycle self-help workshop, i.e. we offer help for self-help. You can not just leave your broken bike with us. Instead, we show you what to do and help you to repair your bike.
- - - - - - - - - About us - - - - - - - - -
The RadBox is a place for university members (students, employees) to repair their bicycle.
- We offer you room, tools and a few (used) spare and wear parts. Volunteers are there to support in case you need assistance. The service is free of charge but donations are welcome to finance maintenance and development of our community workshop.
We students all work on a voluntary basis. None of us is a trained bicycle mechanic - we teach ourselves and each other everything! We help you to the best of our knowledge and belief.
No-bullshit policy: We talk honestly with you about problems with your bike, necessary repairs and spare parts. We are not profit-oriented and do not finance ourselves through sales.
Mechanics dig patience, fun, chocolate or a big "thank you"!
- - - - - - - - Get involved - - - - - - - -
The RadBox Team is looking for new members. First of all: No (!) previous knowledge is necessary, we just expect motivation to learn something new ;-)
We are the #1 contact point for students who have problems with their bicycles. In the RadBox (in front of the Glashaus) we help students repair their bikes on a voluntary basis. If you feel like joining us, please get in touch by emailing RadBox@uni-bayreuth.de or talk to one of us in person.
Below is a brief insight into our work:
Mostly it's about the "basics" (e.g. flat tyres, gears, brakes), but occasionally it's about more specific things (e.g. ball bearings, drive train, wheel truing). But we can say from our own experience that you learn to repair the basics very quickly.
In the workshop we have the right tools for most work done on bicycles. So if you need special (sometimes expensive) tools, you don't have to get them yourself, but can use our tools without complications.
The use of the tools is always free of charge. Nevertheless, we rely on voluntary donations from our visitors, as the workshop is mainly financed by donations. Many students who repair their bikes in our workshop support us with voluntary donations, which we use to finance spare parts and tools. We are very grateful for this!
Our work is voluntary, therefore we do not earn any money with our work. Nevertheless, there are many advantages for you if you get involved with us:
As a mechanic you can learn almost everything about bikes from the other mechanics. Besides the normal workshop work, you can also take part in our internal workshops, which deal with a different topic of bicycle repair each time (everyone is allowed to suggest topics).
Of course you can also repair your own bike and get help from more experienced members. By arrangement, you can even do this outside of regular opening hours, so you have all the peace and space in the world.
You can also have your voluntary work certified by the StuPa. This always looks good, for example when applying for a scholarship or a job.
- - - - - - - - - Location - - - - - - - - -
We are in front of the Glashaus on the concrete surface.
Location in OpenStreetMaps
- - - - - - - - - History - - - - - - - - -
The idea to set up a bicycle self-help workshop at Univ. Bayreuth goes back to the student ideas competition Create YOUR Campus in the summer semester of 2017.
The high student interest in such a workshop was clearly confirmed during the bicycle mobility survey conducted by Prof. Dr. Susanne Tittlbach and Dr. Stefan Kurth at UBT in December 2017/January 2018.
In the winter semester 2017/18, Stefan Kurth, initiator of the project "Bicycle-friendly university, bicycle-friendly Bayreuth" was able to inspire Green Campus with the idea of a bicycle self-help workshop and win Dennis Heinig from the Green Campus team for collaboration. As a result, Dennis Heinig and he jointly developed an equipment and operating concept.
After an initial exchange with the student parliament, Dennis Heinig and Juliane Schulz got involved in June 2018 in founding the StuPa working group on bicycle mobility. In addition, Heinig and Schulz agreed to take over the supervision of a bicycle self-help workshop for the 2018/19 academic year.
In search of a bicycle mechanic who would advise and coach students on repairs, Dennis Heinig contacted all of Bayreuth's bicycle shops. Felix Lautner, owner of the Trailhouse store, initially promised his support for the winter semester 2018/19.
Stefan Kurth made efforts to find a suitable room and to obtain funding. The university management held out the prospect of a space. Financing for equipment and operation in the first year was provided jointly by the university, the Studentenwerk, and the Verein zur Förderung des Hochschulsports und des Instituts für Sportwissenschaft der Universität Bayreuth.
- In October, the tools were ordered, delivered in full, and it has been in the Green Campus office ever since. In December, another workshop trolley was ordered.
- Unfortunately, the room that had been envisaged could not be realized after all for safety reasons (escape routes for neighboring laboratories). A temporary solution generously offered by Prof. Dr. Frank Döpper (Chair of Environmental Production Engineering) could also not be set up for technical reasons.
- Since then, we have been working with the Chancellor and Central Technology to find an alternative. With the strong support of Lieven Hofmann, who has been part of the AK Fahrradmobilität since the first meeting in November, we were pursuing the vision of setting up our own workshop container in front of the Glashaus!
- In the summer semester of 2019, Jens Diehr, Jakob Eberhagen, Leon Haupt, and Johannes Besold joined the Green Campus Team and continued to drive the project forward with full vigor. Through the combined strength and the decision of the university management of 23.07.2019, nothing more stood in the way of the construction of the bicycle workshop.
- In the following weeks, the implementation was finalized in a lively exchange with Sabine Bocka (Zentrale Technik) and the container could be installed on 25.09.2019 and opened on 15.10.2019.
The bicycle self-help workshop is a joint project of Create Your Campus, StuPa and Green Campus.
- - - - - - - - Supporters - - - - - - - -
The RadBox would not exist without generous donations. Therefore, we would like to express our great gratitude to all donors who make this unique project possible. Below is an alphabetical listing of our financial supporters:
- Diehr & Rabenstein - Technischer Handel
- Sparkasse Bayreuth
- Studentenwerk Oberfranken
- Techniker Krankenkasse
- Universität Bayreuth
- Universitätsverein Bayreuth e.V.
- Verein zur Förderung des Instituts für Sportwissenschaft und des Hochschulsports an der Universität Bayreuth e.V.
Not listed are the names of our visitors who support us with numerous donations. You are our most important pillar! Thank you very much!
Donations go 100% into the maintenance and improvement of the RadBox. Work on the container, workshop furniture, new tools, replacement of broken tools, wear parts and much more can only be financed by your donations.
You have supported the RadBox financially in the past and are not listed here? Please get in touch with us so that you too can be acknowledged here.